[CAUT] Schwander balancier pinning

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Tue Mar 4 18:02:50 MST 2008

Hi Debbie,

Too loose, for sure. I've gone up ½ size as a fix for walking pins and obviously loose pins, but what I'm looking for is a way to measure friction there. Baldassin suggested there may be an efficient way to measure friction if we could determine what the spring is actually doing and subtract the difference. He wasn't sure how to do that. It just isn't common.

Richard Davenport did a class which showed how important pinning in the balancier is. He recommended 8 grams there, which was much more than is usually taught. In the class he showed how it affected the regulation to have this "right". There are a lot more than Baldwin that use this system. I think a few European makes do. It seems important enough, just a pain.

Thanks,
Jim Busby BYU