[CAUT] Schwander balancier pinning

Cramer, Mark Cramer at BrandonU.CA
Tue Mar 4 19:36:19 MST 2008

Firm wippen-pinning allows rep-springs to kept within an optimal range, which is good "anti-lock-up" prevention, especially if lighter (than spec.) hammers are used.

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

-----Original Message-----
From: DCyr141833 at aol.com
To: caut at ptg.org
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 21:09:27 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Schwander balancier pinning

We've been teaching 8-10 grams for rep lever pinning for a few years  now.
It's
s-l-o-w-l-y becoming the accepted "norm", though not soon enough for  me!

Debbie Cyr

In a message dated 3/4/2008 8:56:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
rnossaman at cox.net writes:

> Richard Davenport did a class which showed how important  pinning in the
> balancier is. He recommended 8 grams there, which was  much more than is
> usually taught. In the class he showed how it  affected the regulation to
> have this “right”. There are a lot more  than Baldwin that use this
> system. I think a few European makes do.  It seems important enough, just
> a pain.

Mason & Hamlin  are also recommending a much tighter pinning
here than is typically  accepted.
Ron N