[CAUT] Schwander balancier pinning

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Wed Mar 5 05:24:29 MST 2008

Susan writes:
(Inre the worth of working up a Baldwin grand,

<<  It stands up to
heavy playing beautifully once the tuning is really beaten in.
The rendering does take some attention, but once the tuning
is solid it holds very well.  >>

      I agree.  I have had that experience, too.  However, after this many
years of abuse heaped on my hands,  I can allow those pianos that have to be
beaten in to join the many others I will not have time to tune in this lifetime.
It can only be fear of a loose pin that makes them put 190 in/lbs torque on
the top treble pins.  I just don't need that sort of a wrestling match in my
life, anymore.
  The point I guess I didn't make clearly is that on a performance
instrument, the cost of repair is sometimes more than that of replacement, so pinning
balanciers on an action that has  could also use total repinning, as well as new
capstan pads and all the springs lubed, etc, is the more expensive way.   Why
not replace them?

and

>>What you people with dry winters and muggy hot summers can
do about pinning, I don't know ...  <<

Well, that the major point.  In Tennessee, I see hand-reamed felt shank
bushings, that when swinging 5 times in August will swing totally freely in
January.  Some find that magic place where they aren't sluggish in summer, and still
have some control right after Christmas,  but, really, there is no good
answer.   I just try to have a consistant set, above all.

Regards,
Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms, and advice on
AOL Money & Finance.<BR>