[CAUT] Inexpensive institutional piano benches

Elwood Doss edoss at utm.edu
Fri Mar 7 07:02:44 MST 2008

I would suggest getting benches with stretchers connecting the legs
about 4 inches off the floor, or retrofitting the cheap benches.  We
bought new Baldwin Studio Uprights about 8 years ago for most of our
practice rooms and after about two years I began to see damaged benches.
We retrofitted all the benches with home-made stretchers and after 5
years none of them have been damaged and all are in service.  I used a
special type of wood for the stretchers that is extremely dense, albeit
expensive, but the extra money sure paid off.  You might try that on the
cheap benches.  I'm sold on the retrofit.  I think they would hold up
better that way.

Joy!

Elwood

Elwood Doss, Jr., M.M.E., RPT