[CAUT] electronic tuning device preference?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Mar 16 13:52:17 MST 2008

Hi Susan. Just wanted to pipe in a quick reply to your post...

    Fred, you've written several excellent posts in this thread, which
    I've saved. I think I've cruised through most of this thread, at least
    superficially, but I haven't seen one question addressed:

I agree.  Fred is up to his usual par and more.

    Which way of tuning is more enjoyable?

I'd say a hybrid form.  I do a quick basis with Tunelab with my P-12ths
template. This puts me always very close to where my end tuning wants to
be.  Then I let the piano tell my ears where the refinements want to
be.  On that note... I've found that the ofte declared negligible
inharmonicity, i.e. the lack of significant para-inharmonicity in the
treble (up to and including the top octave) is not the case. There is
more to take concern to up there then we have been led to believe.

One other bit... we often talk of classic false beats as being pretty
much unique to the upper treble...from say around C5 upwards.  I've
found that a more correct statement is to say that the frequency range
of the fundamentals from C5 upwards can exhibit classic false beats...
but that these can be found in any note which has a coincident in that
range.... which is to say the rest of the piano.  Off the point a bit
but I wanted to throw that in.

Cheers
RicB