[CAUT] electronic tuning device preference?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Mar 16 16:48:45 MST 2008

This is a very good point, and one which echos Marcels post. Its one of
the reasons I became a hybrid tuner. When I go through my aural tweak
pass I want to be assured my previously tuned notes are right where I
left them.  One of the greatest benefits I've had from active employment
of an ETD is a vast improvement on tuning stability.

Cheers
RicB

    I think if you ask most ETD using tuners why they use the machine
    instead of just aurally, one of the answers will be
    they suddenly found their solid tunings were in fact drifting
    slightly...i.e. going back over notes previous tuned, even within
    the same unison you were tuning...;-]
    Aurally, we rely on one string as being set and tuning the other
    strings to it and venturing out...but if it changes?   If you
    aurally tune with a temp strip and come back to do the unisons you
    are kidding yourself...

    David Ilvedson, RPT
    Pacifica, CA  94044