[CAUT] electronic tuning device preference?

Ron Koval drwoodwind at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 17 07:13:03 MST 2008

This has been an interesting discussion for me to catch up on this morning.

Decades ago, I turned my back on Braid-White when I realized that the precision
hoped for in his beat-counting method was already available in the technology
I had.  Both aural checks and machines have made great strides to increase
the precision available to tuners - often not emphasizing the accuracy of octaves
and larger intervals.

Learning aural tuning is an honorable, satisfying skill - yet the aural skills most
needed to help the ETD are the musical listening skills of the unison, octave and
wider octaves.  Calligraphy skills were once necessary for the graphics professional , an
honorable, satisfying skill, yet todays working graphic artists use the computer as a
powerful assistant for layout design.  The time used to learn traditional aural skills
can be better used to focus on tone, stability and stretch.  ETD tunings are breaking
away from the crutch of aural technique - by focusing on what wetware can easily
add to the process in the partnering with the machine.  No longer must a student be
expected to tune hundreds, or thousands of pianos before reaching a qualitative
level of tuning.

While there is a long tradition of teaching aural temperament techniques, they
aren't needed for professional service.  I also realize that very few of you have reached
that same conclusion. . .   :-)

I suppose there will always be those that
value the process, and the personal satisfaction they get from aural tuning.

Ron Koval
Concordia U.