[CAUT] Electronic Tuning Preferences

rwest1 at unl.edu rwest1 at unl.edu
Mon Mar 17 06:20:00 MST 2008

I wonder if anyone on the exam committee and the Journal is taking
notes on this topic.  It will come up repeatedly because newbies will
always wonder about the very issues that have been raised in this
thread.  An article that outlines the aural/etd tuning controversy
would be a good one for the Journal and should be put Chapter Toolkit
so that chapters have ready access to information about some of the
issues.  It would be good for Associates to have in their exam prep
materials.

Secondly several years ago I made the deliberate decision to be an
aural tuner just so that I wouldn't lose the aural skill that I had
worked so hard to master.  For several years I went over to the "dark
side" and tuned almost exclusively with the ETD.  In one of those
epiphany moments that I described in my last post, I realized that
the quality of my tuning wasn't up to my old aural standards.  It
wasn't a judgement against the ETD; it was a realization I wasn't
paying attention to my work.  As I started to wean myself away from a
heavy reliance on the ETD, I realized that my aural skills had
atrophied.  So I decided that if I wanted to keep my aural skills at
the highest level, I would rely on my ears rather than my eyes.
Philosophically I decided that because music is primarily an aural
phenomenon, access to my brain should be via the ears when tuning.
My eyes are an equally valid way of accessing my brain for tuning
purposes, given the accuracy of ETD's, but music is not seen, but
heard.  Also maintaining a refined aural skill links me to all those
folks who have tuned before me, and have explored all the various
intellectual facets that make tuning an interesting mental as well as
practical pursuit.

So I wouldn't call myself a hybrid tuner any more.  I use an ETD for
setting my A and for pitch raises.  Otherwise I gladly open myself to
the satisfaction that aural tuning gives me as well as all the quirks
and failures that exclusively aural tuning can engender.

Richard West