[CAUT] Electronic Tuning Preferences

Marcel Carey mcpianos at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 16 15:25:21 MST 2008

Fred, Suzan and Ric's post were excellent. I fully agree that one should get aural skills. But... as far as turning tuning pins and stabilizing them, I think that an electronic tuning device is a must for a novice tuner. I'm not pro one or the other method, as a matter of fact I kind of use hybrid myself and will tune aurally whenever I feel I'll be in the mood for it. But to gain experience, by using a ETD, the student or novice tuner will spend more time turning and setting pins then listening. So, for tuning stability training, I favor the ETD.

Marcel Carey, RPt
Sherbrooke, QC