[CAUT] electronic tuning device preference?

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Mon Mar 17 12:22:10 MST 2008

Hi, Don

>It would appear that the best that can be done on a totally "Aural" basis
>is 1/10 of a cent. No one told me that such small changes were hard to
>make--so I simply bashed away until I could make that sort of resolution. I
>guess this would be a case of an ETD driving a student to a higher level
>than they might have achieved without one.

And your reason for wanting 1/100th of a cent? Sort of a hobby, perhaps?
"Because it was there ..." ? You surely don't think there's a human
oscilloscope out there who could discern the difference unaided?
(And would they mind if they could?)

It's like the old philosophical question of whether a tree falling in a forest
where no one hears it makes a sound. If no one can tell, is it
"higher" work? And if the time and effort spent on approaching some kind of
scientific limit to accuracy takes your attention away from other
aspects of the piano, which people can respond to?

>Where our ears "shine" is in unisons. It is possible to duplicate a great
>unison with an etd--just that it takes longer than doing it aurally.
>Besides which the ear ought to be the final judge of what is desireable.

I certainly second that notion.

Susan