[CAUT] Verituner "recalc'

Ron Koval drwoodwind at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 18 16:43:45 MST 2008

Jim -

To understand the "recalc", remember that in "fine tune" mode, the box will calculate notes
as you go - with the understanding that already tuned notes must not be changed.  To me,
this is a HUGE source of problems (probably not huge...) where the machine shuffles and
reshuffles, never recalculating the whole tuning to find the best mix.  Then if the tech has
used the "alter" command to "fix" notes that the box couldn't place right.... and you recalc,
the whole tuning will change - except the altered notes stick!  Only if you have full
inharmonicity measurements will the box have the best chance for coming up with a matching
tuning.  So.... using the coarse tuning first, going through the whole piano before switching
to fine mode seems to get me where I want to be.

Anyway, if you did a tuning without using alter, and then wish to give the box another chance
at taking advantage of later inharmonicity measurements, choose 'recalc".  If you were happy
with the tuning the last time, choose "no" to the request.  Otherwise, you may not like the
results.  If your "I"s are all full, there shouldn't be any change to the file with multiple recalcs.

Ron Koval
Concordia U.

I have a Verituner (and a SAT) and I was wondering if you or anyone on the list knows exactly what the "Recalculate tuning" does? It asks you that every time you go back to a tuning that is already recorded in the machine. If all the "info" has been collected (i.e. the little "I" is full on every note) then what is it actually doing by this "recalculation"?Thanks,Jim Busby