[CAUT] one mute

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 18 20:24:26 MST 2008

Excuse me if this has been talked about (this may be David Andersens muting sequence?...but I read it in the SAT III manual...I think?)...

I used a temp strip for years and in the last 5 to 10 years I've been tuning unisons as I go.   I continued the temp strip format of a mute on each side of the unison and tuned the middle string with my SAT III and then tuned right to center and left to center.   I've never had any real problems, although in hindsight it did seem I was re-tweaking already tuned strings within the unison quite a bit...which I felt was another great thing about the ETD...   Anyhoo...I think this was Jim Coleman's method?...I can't seem to find the place in the manual...he recommended tuning the right string to the SAT (mute between middle-left string), tune left string to the SAT (mute between middle-right string), then tune middle to left string aurally, pull mute and there should be no change in the unison, i.e. dead on.   Well, tonight at the Ballet I tuned 2 pianos using this method and "epiphany"...first I was finding my left string was consistently flat a cent or two.   The unisons seemed more dead on...blooming...and I didn't have to re-tune strings!   Really kind of annoying to discover this after 34 years...;-[  I mean how can the muting sequence make any difference?   What I'm thinking is the 2 outside strings have a string between them and the tuning an outside string doesn't effect the other outside string?   I don't now...but it will be interesting to go to the Ballet tomorrow afternoon and see if the left string is not consistently flat...and the overall tuning...

This really makes clear (imho) the necessity of getting rid of the temp strip and tuning unisons as you go...with this muting sequence...

This is probably nothing but old news too many of you, but if someone finds it helpful...

David Ilvedson, RPT

Pacifica, CA 94044