[CAUT] Moore vs ET

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Thu Mar 20 17:39:16 MST 2008

Jim writes:

<<  Here's a dumb (maybe) question. Is a temperament "centered" on a key? For
instance, below, is "A" the tone center since it is "0"?  IOW, there are
"smooth" and more "active" chords (my words) in any non ET. So, does one choose
this tone center? Am I off base, and it doesn't make a difference? >>

The tradition of well-temperament follows Werckmeister's instructions that
the keys most often used should be given the greatest consonance, the lesser
used keys given the most tempering.  This means that the order of width in the
tonic thirds goes from the key of C to the key of F#, with C being the smallest
third, F# the largest.  This is understandable since there is virtually no
music written in F# before the late 1800's.  It is also a difficult key to
resolve back to "home", since everything is tempered less than F# and it is hard(
and very rarely attempted in the classical piano literature),  to resolve to a
higher level of tempering.
   Changing the traditional order would certainly destroy the modulatory
intentions of the classical composers.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the