[CAUT] Moore vs ET

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Thu Mar 20 17:57:00 MST 2008

Fred writes:

<<  I assume the "Broadwood Best" you refer to is "Ellis tuner
#4" (#5 comes much closer to ET and is pretty bland. I am fond of BB
#4 myself). I have seen a couple of the Coleman temperaments, but not
#11. Where are they available?

Rollingball, I think, has all of them.  I use the Broadwood tuning that
Jorgensen displays on page 558 of "Tuning".  The offsets are
A    0
G# +2
G    +5
F#   0
F   +5
E    -2
Eb  +3
D   +3
C# +1
C   +5
B    -1
Bb  +4

  This tuning is not as "smooth" or refined as the Coleman 11, but as
Jorgensen states, there is no temperament better than another, they simply have
different resources.

>>I have seen a
few "proposed Bach Temperaments" but am not familiar with J. Charles
Francis. Can you shed some light? (source, whatever). >>

>    From: "J. Charles Francis" <Francis at datacomm.ch>
>> Subject: Tuning Interpretation of Bach's '1722 Seal'
 you can download at the following link:

>> http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Articles/Bach_Seal.pdf

>> And offsets C descending, corrected for A=0.0
>> C    8.128
>> B    -2.582
>> A#   5.959
>> A    0.0