[CAUT] Moore vs ET

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sat Mar 22 20:14:33 MST 2008

	I would agree that Broadwood Best meets the threshold of "noticeable"
at least for many, if not most (this is Ellis tuner #4, one of two
tunings by "Broadwood's best tuner" that Ellis measured and documented
back around 1890, along with three done by "the usual tuner"). I
certainly notice it when I am playing a piano. When I did my "stealth
Moore experiment," I sampled a few other temperaments, including
Broadwood Best, in practice rooms mostly. I decided to try Broadwood
Best in a classroom. A few days later, I got a comment from a prof
doing harmonic dictation in that room: "Check the piano in room 1106,
something is strange about the tuning." I switched back to Moore, and
heard no more comments. (The prof was one who was kind enough to let
me know whenever something was amiss - in a nice way. I could pretty
much count on hearing from him if a unison was getting obnoxious, or
anything was amiss with a piano he used).
	Coleman 11 (C11) looks a little bit milder and more evenly spaced
than Broadwood Best 4 (BB4), so I presume it would probably be a
little less pronounced a sound. But they are certainly in the same
basic ballpark. So I think we can say that Moore is still too close to
ET to be obvious and noticeable, but BB4 and C11 are far enough from
ET to be noticeable, at least to those who are sensitive and paying
attention. Moore varies from ET by a maximum of 3 cents, C11 and BB4
by as much as 5 cents. It is probably more to the point to compare
intervals, with M3s as the most representative.
	[It is fairly easy to make these comparisons, using cents offset
tables: One simply takes each note of the interval, notes how large a
shift in cents and in what direction, and combines the changes in the
two notes. So that for the CE M3 in Moore, C is raised 2.5 cents,
which narrows the interval by that amount, E is lowered 1.5 cents,
which also narrows the interval by that amount. Hence, the CE M3 is
narrower than in ET by 4 cents (2.5 + 1.5)].
	Moore narrows M3s by a maximum of 4 cents (CE and GB), and widens by
a maximum of 2 cents (many M3s). C11 narrows M3s by a maximum of 6
cents (CE and GB) and widens by a maximum of 4 cents. BB4 narrows a
maximum of 7 cents (CE only, GB by 6) and widens by a maximum of 4
cents. So one could say fairly accurately that C11 and BB4 are more or
less "twice as different from ET" as Moore. Thus, the point at which
WT variant becomes noticeable probably lies somewhere between Moore
and C11/BB4.
	Another interesting observation: Moore, which, as we seem to have
fairly well established, is essentially not noticed as sounding
significantly different from ET, would score 73% for temperament, 67%
for mid-range, on the PTG tuning test. (FWIW, which isn't much, C11
would score 48% and 25%, BB4 23% and 7%. It _does_ give a perspective
on weighting and the meaning of percentages in this context).
	For those interested in how the cents translate into beat rates, here
are theoretical beat rates for these temperaments (M3s from C3 to B3).
I'll list them in order: ET, Moore, C11, BB4.
C  5.2  3.7  2.9  2.5
C#  5.5  6.3  7.1  7.1
D  5.8  5.0  5.0  4.6
D#  6.2  7.1  7.1  7.1
E  6.5  7.5  7.7  8.5
F  6.9  5.9  4.4  4.4
F#  7.3  8.4  9.5  9.5
G  7.8  5.5  4.4  4.4
G#  8.2  9.5  10.4  10.1
A  8.7  8.7  9.4  9.4
A#  9.2  9.3  7.9  8.6
B  9.8  11.2  12.7  12.7
(These numbers are courtesy of a spreadsheet created from instructions
in A Guide to Musical Temperament by Thomas Donahue. I think I posted
the spreadsheet to the caut list a while back. You can simply enter
cents offsets and it generates beat rates, among many other things.
Very handy).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico