[CAUT] electronic tuning device preference?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Mar 21 14:47:10 MST 2008

Hi Richard W.

I see there are a few fine answers thrown out there already, but as I'm
less then certain they clear up the querries of those who are
unaccustomed to direct referencing, or as you coined it,
multi-referencing ETD's I thought I'd throw out an example of my own.

I use tunelab, which I find very conducive to using in this fashion.  My
tuning curve template is all built on one long curve of 3rd partials
from A1 to F6 patched together with Tunelab 97's tuning curve editor.
Its based on a Perfect 12th D3(3)-A4(1) together with a just narrow
enough A4/A3 6:3 octave to accommodate a decent sounding 4:2 octave.
Once these three notes are tuned and sampled for their resulting 3rd
partials Tunelab creates the curve in the range... and it just gets
extended in similar fashion sampling other notes to include the rest.
The end curve is comprised of only 3rd partials as stated.  As a
template it works quite well enough on its own... but as a tool to aid
an ear tweaking it is quite helpful indeed.  Any given note is note a
calculated 3rd partial frequency... and allows the direct referencing of
6:3 octaves below, 4:1 double octaves above, 4:2 and 2:1 octaves, and
3:1 and 6:2 12ths. On can also look very closely at other related
octaves and other intervals if desired.   How does this fit perfectly
with an ear tuning ?

Take D3 as an example.  Since the curve utilizes the 3rd partial of all
notes, D3's 3rd partial also gives me an exact match to the 6:3 octave
below. Aurally we use the inside minor third / major sixth test for
this.. one can listen to and watch exactly the same relationship.
Leaving Tunelab at D3 I just tune D2 to the same frequency.  One thing
nice about Tunelab Pocket  is that a quick button allows me to switch to
any other partial for the note on the display.  So if I want to double
check the 4:2 relation at D2-D3 while I'm at it... I simply switch to
2nd partial, play D3 and zero the phase display... and then play D2.
Often quite handy for resolving para-inharmonicity issues in the bass.
D3's 3rd partial also gives me the fundamental of A4 in my default
tuning.  This is a perfect 12th which is a commonly used priority by
aural tuners achieved by using the major 6th below the lowest note of
the 12th as a reference note, i.e. the major 6th and 17th test.  On the
ETD both D3 and A4 should stop the display. I can also look at A3.  I
know this is a fifth to D3, and since D3's 3rd partial is used, I'm
looking at the 2nd partial of A3 and the fundamental of A4... i.e. the
2:1 octave type. Handy higher up in the scale.

A common aural check in the treble is to check the 5:4:3:2:1 coincidents
in a run like fashion... playing the 5:4, then the 5:3, 5:2 and 5:1 in
fairly rapid succession getting the sense of the relative beat rates.
There's a lot in those 5 coincidents that aural tuners use various tests
for all the time.  Knowing what partial your ETD is looking at for any
given note allows you to look at the coincidents for all relative
notes... but taking it a step further and using an ETD based tuning
curve to purposefully glide right into what checks an aural tuning very
frequently employs creates a kind of hybrid tuning that is not really an
ETD tuning at all... but an aural tuning in which ones aural checks are
supplemented by the precision readouts of the visual phase display from
the ETD.

I suppose there are several approaches to splicing these two methods
(aural and electronic) of checking notes together depending on the ETD
in use by the individual tuner. Like I say, I use a P-12th based 3rd
partials curve and it works very well indeed... but the basic approach
to multi-referencing as you put it is the same regardless of what the
curve is or what the ETD is... just as long as you keep track of what
you are actually reading.

Cheers
RicB