[CAUT] well tempered

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sat Mar 22 05:49:04 MST 2008

>Dumb question - If I were to continue to the next octaves would I use the
>same deviations or double them each octave up and halve them going down?

Dumb answer - dunno.  Which is why I went with the VT. No decisions to make
other than selecting the correct style (stretch) for a given
size/quality piano.

I have tweaked the styles to tune in a manner which my ears agree with.
The temperament octave is a combo of partials: sm, med, large pianos:
2:1 80%, 4:2 20%
4:2 60%, 2:1 40%
4:2 60%, 6:3 40%

Aurally check A4-A3 octave size and switch style if needed. Expanding out,
two or three partials are chosen and given a percentage. No page flipping
or figuring to do other than assess aurally and either accept or
alter the note.

After many tunings and disagreeing with the machine placement, I have
assigned registers multiple-partial proportions and sampling points such that
I find no fault. For instance, instead of using the A5/6/7 as sampling points;
I chose A5, F#6, D#7, C8.  Breaking the top into sixths/samplings, has smoothed
out inconsistencies at the treble break and the blend of oct's 6 & 7.

I'm no wizard when it comes to this stuff and defer to others more
knowledgeable.
I'm more of the seat-of-the-pants kind of tuner regarding this,
meaning, making it
work for me without really understanding the nuts and bolts of it all.

I recently purchased Rick B's book, On Pitch which I hope will shed some light.

Regards,

Jon Page