[CAUT] wound string spacing

Jurgen Goering pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com
Sat Mar 22 10:59:32 MST 2008

Ric, thanks for the reply. Comments inserted below

Jurgen Goering

On Mar 22, 2008, at 5:49, Richard Brekne wrote:

> I'm not sure they are all that standard.
Yes, that is why I am collecting specs from different pianos.

>  Bichords in the bass vary on Hamburgs for example, allowing for some
> compensation for differences in string diameters.  I dont know who
> else does this. The usual way of dealing with variances from a
> regulators perspective is to simply squezze / clip / or otherwise
> manipulate the felt so that all damper heads end up at the same
> height.
>
> Why the need for customizing if I may ask ?  Is there a real market
> for this ?
There is definitely a market for high quality bass damper felt,
precision cut to  dimensions that work properly. Requests come in all
the time.
I have been measuring the gap between the strings of bi-chord unisons
on pianos I come across.  I hope to be able to  limit my selection to
two sizes of bi-chord wedges and two sizes of tri-chord felt.

I have found a source for the most beautiful damper felt and now I just
need to tell them how I would like it to be cut.  As we are talking
about a minimum factory custom order, I want to make sure what I order
is actually something that will fit a lot of pianos. I don't want to
end up with a big box of very expensive packing material.

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply
(250) 754-2440
info at pianofortesupply.com