[CAUT] wound string spacing

Jurgen Goering pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com
Sat Mar 22 17:03:22 MST 2008

In the past, horizontal felt that I had received from supply houses was
simply too firm for my liking and I believed that was due to the fiber
orientation.  I have since received European samples of both vertical
and horizontal layered felt that are simply "juicy", for lack of a
better word.  I plan to go with the horizontal felt which I believe is
(marginally) the superior of the samples I have.  But I have not placed
my order yet, and I would be interested to hear other technicians'
views on vertical vs horizontal.

On Mar 22, 2008, at 12:00, David Skolnik wrote:
>  Jurgen -
>  General question(s): If you're going to the trouble of having these
> fabricated, are you starting with the best possible materials?
Absolutely!
>  Also, for shapes other than flats, has it been conclusively
> determined whether horizontal or vertical grain is preferable, or
> whether the application, or other parameters determine the
> preference?
I don't believe these questions have been answered definitively, a case
in point being various high end manufacturers using different
orientations.  What are your thoughts on this?
>  Are you planning on supplying only one?
There are limits to what I can fill my shelves with right now, and my
goal is to stock a product that will work very well for a large range
of pianos.  For the time being, I plan on stocking only one grain
orientation; at this point I am looking at horizontal felt.
>  I happen to be about to do dampers on a Mason A, which used, for lack
> of a better description, M
>  shape felts on the lowest 4 wound bicords.  I've seen these before,
> and wonder if the design was dropped as ineffective or due to
> difficulty in manufacturing.
>  I'll measure some and send them if no one else does first.
That would be great, thanks.  On most pianos, the lowest few bi-chords
benefit a different damper felt geometry than the thinner strings
further up.  As well, on many pianos the bi-chords are more widely
spaced down at the bottom, which is what my original query about the
agraffe hole spacing was about.

Thanks for any input.

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply