[CAUT] well tempered

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sat Mar 22 20:10:50 MST 2008

Hi Chris,
	Cents are proportional throughout the piano. You can apply the cents
deviations to any and every note (every C the same, every C# the same,
etc) anywhere in the piano. It doesn't seem like it would work
intuitively, but it does. With SAT, unfortunately, I think you just
have to plug in all the numbers, note by note, making sure you add or
subtract right, and making sure you do a "note up/note down" to clear
the sometimes handy feature in the save mode: when you save a number,
the SAT automatically goes up to the next higher note, and leaves the
same number in the display that you just changed to for the note
below. So to get back to the original number for the tuning you are
converting, you have to do a note or octave change, up and down or
down and up. (Here is one place where the RCT shines: plug those
offset numbers into a custom user temperament, and you can
automatically convert any ET tuning in your library to that
temperament, just a click of the mouse).
	I wouldn't worry about Lehman's talk of 2:1 octaves. He is dealing
with harpsichords, not pianos.
	An alternative is to do just an octave or two (enter the numbers and
tune by them), and then tune out octaves aurally (or using the ETD to
match partials). Just use whatever temperament octave you like.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu