[CAUT] Pocket PC Tunelab tuning

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Mar 25 02:58:32 MST 2008

Hi folks.

Finally got around to figuring out how to do a P-12 tuning custom
sampled for each individual piano using Pocket PC Tunelab.  Havent
gotten around to it yet as I rely so much on my ears that a generic
version has sufficed... but got to dinking around and have a nice
solution for any of you who are interested. Heres what you do :

First go into the partial table and set all partials from A1 to E6 to
the 3rd partial. Then set your tuning priorities to 6:3 for the bass and
3:1 for the treble.  Then set the thing do fully automatic.  Sample  A1,
D2, A2, D3, A3, D4, A4, D5, A5, and D6 for inharmonicity. Check your
inharmonicity constants table so that there are no other notes in it
then these.  Thats about it.  You should see that the bottom tuning
deviation curve is pretty much flat.

When tuning, I always tune 3 notes for notes D3 to D4.  Namely the
octave below and the 12th above in addition to the note on the display.
 From D4 upwards tune the 12th above in addition to the note on display
and check the octave below until I hit A4.  From there up its just the
note on the display and the 12th above. This allows for an overlapping
check for all notes from A4 upwards as I've already tuned them
referencing the 12th below.  Since tunelab calculates a pure 12th curve
there will be no real difference in target frequencies.

I finish off the lowest bass octave by tuning G#1 downwards with octave
above on the display, finally checking with the actual note on the display.

Cheers
RicB