[CAUT] well tempered / Which Bach ?

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Tue Mar 25 11:28:42 MST 2008

Fred writes:

<< Where I lose Lehman is in his second article, with all the
"proof" having to do with things like size of EG# M3 and the like. I
have my doubts that there was ever that degree of hyper-sensitivity to
minute shadings on the part of composers. Not impossible, but unlikely
IMO. I think the general shape is what mattered, when it mattered
(which certainly isn't all the time). >>

       I agree.  It is very plausible that musicians were using
Werckmiester's general instruction to stagger the sizes of the tonic thirds from the key of
C around the circle.  This is the near universal form of tuning that
Jorgensen documents through many, many theorists and writers from 1681 through 1885.
There is a finite amount of tempering that must be spread among the 12 keys,
and how it was historically done was near constant.  The main differences in
temperaments is how gradual the changes were, and how extreme the range.
  By range, I mean the distance between the tempering of C-E and the
tempering of F#-A#.  If you want a pure C-E, you are going to have to put a lot of
tempering somewhere else, usually in the thirds of B, C# and F#. The Kirnberger
tunings have a Just C-E, and three 21 cent thirds to accomodate the left-over
dissonance.  If you compromise C-E by 5 cents, you can soften up the higher
keys a great deal.  Or, as Young does, temper C-E by about 6 cents and have only
one third that carries a full syntonic comma (F#-A#).
      Any musician that was tempering their own keyboard might very well have
allowed any key higher than they would use to absorb a lot more tempering,
the modified meantones show how far this could be taken.  It would even be
plausible that many keyboardists would tune only what they needed for a given
performance, doing the extra work to spread the comma farther only when they had to
modulate farther.
   Today?  The 21st century ears are tender, indeed.  If hit with a lot of 21
cent thirds, many modern musicians recoil.  This is not only due to the width
of the third, but the manner of playing them!  Enid Katahn has clearly
demonstrated that music in very remote keys can be played harshly or expressively.
The quality of the sound is not totally a function of how tempered the
intervals are, but rather, how well the performer can use the greatly expanded
resources.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the