[CAUT] Full Cover w/ DC

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Mar 26 16:59:43 MST 2008

	A couple thoughts beyond what I posted earlier. Heat is conveyed (the
physicist types tell us) in three ways: radiant, conduction (might be
the wrong term) and convection. With forced air heat, we are mostly
dealing with convection, and the variant is whether and how much the
air is moving. This affects how much the object (piano) is heated or
cooled by the air that is a different temperature. And mostly we don't
worry too much about it, and worry more about how dry the air is, and
the movement of water to and from the wood of the piano.
	But if there is a heat source like a radiant heated floor, or an old
fashioned radiator, or baseboard heat (and any number of other
possibilities), there is the possibility that the "body and material
of the piano" become heated more than the ambient air. I think this
happens with my example of the console on a brick, radiant heated
floor. I think it also happens with a couple of grands I service that
are next to baseboard heat (the type that has hot water flowing
through long, low profile radiators). I have one with a full system
and undercover, another with a double tank. Both have horrible tuning
instability. It is better than it was without the systems, but as bad
as what I see in "normal" houses without a system. (And, yes, I have
discussed placement of the pianos with the customers, and, frankly,
there is just no good option).
	I think that this proximity to heat source causes the whole structure
of the piano to become a fair amount hotter than the air, and so the
moisture just leaves it much faster than the system can replenish:
there is an active "moisture subtraction" system in effect, with more
power than the active moisture addition system. I'm thinking I need to
come up with some kind of baffle/insulator system for these pianos.
Problem is, it has to look acceptable (I'm real good at the kind of
thing that doesn't have to look so good <G>). I'm thinking in terms of
"space blanket" type design, with metal foil and insulating layers
sandwiched together. But so far it is just idle thinking while tuning
those pianos.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico