[CAUT] Getting an Interview

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu May 1 12:55:58 MDT 2008

Hi John,

Being still a pretty green CAUT, I remember going through this for about a
year.  After not getting an interview at Arizona State, amongst several
others. I called and spoke at length with the head tech down there.  Rick
Florence was very helpful in redirecting how to go about it.  First, the
University wants to know how you will benefit them. Be willing to accept
weekend and evening concert tuning requirements, have three excellent
letters of recommendation, and an outstanding cover letter.  They won't
look at the resume unless they really like your cover letter and
references.  It sounds like your experience is right up there, but make
sure your resume is professional and to the point.  If the technician is
still at the school to which you're applying, or if retired, find out who
he/she is and by all means, give him/her a call.  When I applied at Univ.
of Nebraska, I called Richard West and spoke to him about the pianos in
his care, demands of the faculty, etc and proceeded to word my letter to
"fit in" with their way of "doing business".  I mentioned nothing about
salary demands and stated clearly that I would work the sometime strange
hours that I had not previously been used to.  I wish I had done this in
the beginning, because after rethinking my approach and talking to these
nice folks, I was called for an interview and here I am and glad to be
here.

I hope this helps.

Best of Luck,

Paul T. Williams RPT