[CAUT] Getting an Interview

Rick Florence Rick.Florence at asu.edu
Thu May 1 12:57:30 MDT 2008

1. References!

I can tell you from first hand experience (both applying and hiring)
that references will strengthen your application or destroy it.  There
is seldom a middle ground.  I have called a number of references for
positions over the years only to hear a less than glowing report "off
the record."  The worst one was a few years ago when I was told "well, I
am not that fond of ________'s work, and I think ________ might be an
alcoholic."   Be absolutely sure what kind of reference you will be
receiving before you use them.

Are you taking time to research the school, the professors, directors,
deans?  Do they share common colleagues in your circle?  Dropping names
may appear impressive on a resume, but a colleague's word is much more
valuable.  More often than not, it's not what you know but who you know.

2. Your resume.

What kind of musical education does the school consider to be its
strength?  Is the position to replace or add a technician, what are the
circumstances?  Were they happy with the past service or looking to
improve upon it?  Find out and tailor your resume accordingly.  Let them
know how you will be an asset to their unique situation.  One size does
not fit all!!  This is where a well written cover letter can help.
Please avoid the most common mistake - showing your weaknesses.  I can't
tell you how many times I have read letters for university positions
stating "I have always wanted to work at a university/with professional
musicians," or "moving up to a university position is a logical next
step in my career."  All that tells them is that you have no experience.
Other letters tried way too hard to sound intelligent or tell a life
story.  The most effective cover letter tells briefly and clearly how
your experience, skills, and interests match the specific needs of the
institution (again, you need to do some research).

Ask a few friends in the business (fellow CAUTs that participate in
hiring or have recently gone through the process) to look at your
resume/letter and ask for feedback.  As Don said, you may wish to hire a
professional to at least edit the finished product before sending it
out.

Good luck.

Rick Florence

Senior Piano Technician