[CAUT] Getting an Interview

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK at missouri.edu
Thu May 1 13:30:58 MDT 2008

Hey, John,

I don¹t know about advice, but I can tell you a story.

When I applied for this job, I had been acquainted with the incumbent
technician for over 10 years.  I had done a lot of work for the local dealer
that sold this school about 80% of their current inventory.  One of the two
top private piano teachers in town was a client of mine.  I got the dealer
and the teacher to write letters for me.
The replacement they just hired ( I¹m leaving) has done work for a piano
professor at another school who is a good friend of the head piano professor
here.
I¹m quite convinced that in both cases connections got us the interview and
the results of the interview got us the job.
You must have made some connections over the last 10 years ­ think of all
the people you have met!  Use those connections, and never miss another
convention (if you¹re not already a regular attendee).  You¹ll make more
contacts every time.
The classic job-hunting manual, ³What Color is Your Parachute?²,
consistently reports that most advertisements don¹t result in hirings, and
most interviews and hirings begin with a personal recommendation to the
employer from someone they trust.  Universities have bureaucratic processes
they have to go through, but you¹re still dealing with people.  Hiring a new
person is a situation fraught with uncertainty, and nobody likes
uncertainty.  The best way I can help reduce the uncertainty surrounding my
application is to use those personal contacts to get the message to the
employer that I¹m OK and worth looking at.  Look at it from their point of
before they even meet you, then you¹re likely to keep doing that after they
hire you.  That¹s what you call a warm fuzzy.  Everybody likes warm fuzzies.

Just my two cents,
Ken Z.

--
Ken Zahringer, RPT