[CAUT] Steinway school info

Alan McCoy amccoy at mail.ewu.edu
Mon May 5 14:00:21 MDT 2008

I just went to a presentation by S&S about the program. Attached is a
document from that presentation that defines or stipulates what it means to
be an All-Steinway school.

Of particular interest is #3. BTW, if you haven't read the S&S equivalent of
the CAUT Guidelines, it is worth looking over. The version I have was
written by Gary Green in 2005. Its recommendations for number of technicians
(one full-time technician per 40 S&S, or one full-time tech per 60
Boston/Essex) and parts inventory look to be more demanding than the CAUT
Guidelines. They apparently have a spreadsheet for this purpose. No doubt
this hooks into their initial inventory of your instruments.

Another consideration is #8 wherein any rebuilding will be done at the S&S
restoration center in NY. This effectively removes any decision-making about
rebuilding from you, other than choosing which piano is up for rebuilding.

By becoming an All-Steinway School (I was about to use an acronym but
decided against it. :-] ) you are accepting the brand, being branded as it
were, and must live up to their expectations. They want to protect their
name, and you, as an All-Steinway School, are representing their name, same
as a dealer.

It's a choice. It may be a good one for the school and students. But it is
not without its trade-offs.

FWIW,

Alan

-- Alan McCoy, RPT