[CAUT] Double loop eye forming jig

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Mon May 5 16:17:08 MDT 2008

Excellent! Thanks Ron.

Jim Busby BYU

________________________________
From: caut-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf Of Ron Overs
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2008 2:17 PM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Double loop eye forming jig

Jim,

Jig image below.

[cid:image001.jpg at 01C8AECB.777A3170]

The small block to the right of centre has a groove in it which allows the long knurled thumb-screw to tighten the block onto the wire, holding it in a centralised position while the two coils are formed around the pin by hand (using a pair of parallel pliers on the small 'crank' on the end of wire). The forming pin is removable, so that I can turn up a suitable pin for making coils to the desired diameter. There always will be some spring-back after the coil is formed, so the forming pin needs to be smaller than the desired final diameter. The springback will be less with thicker core wires, and vice versa. The small 'crank handle' on the end of the wire, and the bend at the coil, are formed with parallel jaw pliers before the wire is fitted to the jig. The knurled thumb-screw has a long shaft made to a specific length, which provides a ready reference for determining where to position the bends on the wire before making the eye, to provide just enough wire to make the job of hand winding the coils around the back length segment, then bending the tail back to an appropriate angle before cutting it to length. When cutting the tail to length, its a good idea to keep the cutter jaws parallel to the plane of the eye. This prevents the sharp edges of the cut-tail from damaging the paint work on the plate.

Ron O

I'd sure like to see that jig for making them that tight. (I do it the old way with round-nose pliersŠ)

Thanks,
Jim Busby BYU