[CAUT] S&S A vs. S&S O

Douglas Wood dew2 at u.washington.edu
Thu May 8 14:29:55 MDT 2008

I've thought of the A more like a small B, and the O more like a
large M. That would make the advantage of the A being a larger
"personality" palette. But in the institutional world, you might be
thinking about the rest of the fleet--do you want more 20-note bass
pianos, or 26-note bass pianos. There is much to be said for a lot of
one model, from an efficiency of parts and service standpoint.

Here at the UW, we have 27 Model L/O pianos of the 42 Steinway
grands, and I'd like to someday convert most of the others to the
same scale. Or if we had a donor, we might consider converting them
all to A's, but that discussion hasn't happened. Personally, I'd
rather not have the mix--easier to move inventory as it ages. Of
course, if you want one studio's piano to be bigger than another's ...

Doug Wood