[CAUT] Tic-Tac-Tooner questions solicitation

Bdshull at aol.com Bdshull at aol.com
Fri May 9 11:34:39 MDT 2008

Hi Alan,

Richard asked me some months ago if I might throw some early Steinway grand
stuff at him....how about....

What is "Patent Resonator?"

Theodore Steinway's system of compressing the soundboard at perimeter  points
which Steinway used from 1866 through about 1878.  It's the first  documented
evidence of the deliberate crowning of the soundboard that I've  found, but
it may have been effective just because of it's influence  on soundboard
impedance.  Sometimes the "Patent  Resonator" consisted only of an iron flange at
the bass cut-off bar with  bolts turned into the soundboard at the cutoff bar.
In the most complete  implementation, it consisted of a double-iron plate (a
cage-like single casting  in two planes) from which the soundboard/rim assembly
was "hung" and compressed  with a full-perimeter bolt compression system.
The latter was on most  uprights from 1866 to 1872, but it can also be found on
just 7 prototype grands  built in 1869 (the first, S/N 19434, we found in
Belgium and  documented).   Through the 1870s Steinway grands and uprights can be
sometimes be found with a treble compressing bolt and bass cutoff-bar
compression bolts.  (The upright patent was 1866 under William Steinway's
name...Theodore had just arrived from Germany and couldn't get his name on a
patent.....and the grand was patented in 1869 - by Theodore).

The "Patent Resonator" was very prominent in the catalogs of the time, but
Steinway's "self-compression" system combined with the continuous rim seems to
have completely displaced the concept by the 1880s, never to be heard about
again - until now!

There's also the  "Patent Pulsator" - the strip of wood under the  soundboard
which is glued across 3 or 5 ribs - every "B" has one, it  can be found on
all the "Centennials" - sometimes in two or three places - and  the original
patent included an iron or steel bar above the sounboard, fastened  through bolts
to the pulsator strip/ribs below - from the patent text this  bar seems to
have been an early "mass loader" as well as a structural stiffener  (tying the
ribs together for extra strength and possibly to manage  impedance).

Patented in 1878, it can be found on pianos built several years before  the
patent....

Finally, there's the "Patent Vibrator" - oh, sorry, that hasn't turned up  in
my research yet.

Hope this is helpful!   I've got pictures if you'd like.

I've gotta admit, I've become a fan of Tic-Tac-Tooner!

Bill

Bill Shull

In a message dated 5/9/2008 6:58:40 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,