[CAUT] SD-6 music rack

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri May 16 08:09:26 MDT 2008

On May 16, 2008, at 7:21 AM, Christopher Purdy wrote:

> As an aside, I actually had a student come to me and report a
> problem with a practice room piano!  I was stunned.  Usually they
> let it sit there for weeks and then grumble to faculty that it
> hasn't been fixed.

	I think this kind of thing is a matter of culture. I had that problem
for a long time, until I decided to do something about it. What I do
is to make it very easy to communicate, and try to be as friendly and
easy to talk to as I can be (without unduly wasting time). I have a
service request list in the practice area at all times, as well as in
the music office. I guess the other side of that is that I try my best
to deal with whatever is brought to my attention immediately - broken
string, squeak, whatever. So the word gets out that if you let someone
know, the problem will be solved.
	But they _are_ just a bunch of young kids, with notions of some vague
"they" who should be omniscient and take care of things without being
asked or told. So it does take some educating. Once they find out that
you will be _happy_ to be told, and that it does make a difference,
they start to act responsibly.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico