[CAUT] SD-6 music rack

Rob & Helen Goodale rrg at unlv.nevada.edu
Fri May 16 11:33:06 MDT 2008

Those damn things are one of the worst designs I have ever seen.  They used
those goofy angled hinge thingys with a pin that goes into a bushing in the
rack.  The 3-ply maple is too weak for the job and sooner or later will
split out.  The best long-term solution is to cut down and bottom and insert
a piece of hard solid wood in a slotted or finger joint, (birch or oak work
better then maple in this case), and then you have an entirely new bottom
hinge piece.  Making the new section thicker then original isn't a bad idea
either.  Another other long-term and potentially easier solution if the
veneer is split out in a mess, is to simply replace the entire rack.
Multi-ply Baltic birch would be ideal since it is virtually as strong as pin
block material with all the saturated glue.  Fill the end grain, apply
several coats of black lacquer and rub it out to mach the original finish.
This amounts to a lot of work but the original design was so poor that a
complete overhaul like this is eventually required in a school situation.

As far as a short term temporary repair, epoxy mixed with fine saw dust to
fill the split areas is the only solution I have found worth pursuing with
the least amount of time investment.  A dowel drilled out and inserted into
the split pin/bushing hole wouldn't be a bad idea while your at it.

Good luck!

Rob Goodale, RPT