[CAUT] SD-6 music rack

Tim Coates tcoates1 at sio.midco.net
Fri May 16 13:44:24 MDT 2008

Conrad,

I had to check with the technician who designed our repair at the
University of South Dakota.  We tried all of the previously mentioned
repairs except replacing the music rack.  They all failed.

First we used Wood Rebuilder with a black powder stain to even out
the corner and make it look like a piece of black.  Then Charley
Smith attached thin brass plating to the side of the broken corner.
The side where the hole is located for the hinge pin.  The brass
plate has two slightly counter sunk screw holes so the two small
screws that hold the plating in place don't get hung up on the
hinge.  The hinge pin is now unable to put pressure on the rest of
the area and cause splitting.  The brass plating takes all of the
stress.

It has been about five years since he did that repair and still not
even a hint of failure.

Tim Coates