[CAUT] bone in

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun May 18 10:35:47 MDT 2008

One of my least favorite shop jobs is pulling tuning pins.
Sure, it's not that bad with an air impact tool, but it's
still a pain. Consequently, I often pull the plate with the
pins, or most of them, still in the block. The block I pulled
last week wasn't the original, and had nice nickel plated pins
that had threads that were nearly non existent. They'd spin,
but wouldn't walk out of the block more than half way, so
removing the set was even less attractive than usual.
Sometimes, the plate will come out past the full set of pins,
other times not. Removing either the top or bottom section
sometimes works when it doesn't with the full set. I'm not
entirely sure why, but I take what I can get. I typically cut
the becket and pull the coils off either way, to minimize
personal blood loss. Techs occasionally express surprise that
this is possible when I mention it (pulling a plate past the
pins, not minimizing personal blood loss), or they see a
pinned block in the corner of my shop and ask, but unless you
just whiz the pins out and let the strings go where they may,
you might want to give it a look.

With newer Baldwins, after preferably lowering string tension,
you can pull the plate, block, and strings as a unit. Then the
quickest tear down seems to be to cut the strings, and drive
the pins out with a punch from the bottom. I save takeout
Baldwin blocks for jig tooling stock, for which the material
is much better suited than holding tuning pins in pianos.

For what it's worth...

P.S. Note that fine 7° angle on those pins
Ron N