[CAUT] piano covers

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Wed Oct 8 05:15:48 MDT 2008

>Additionally we asked for the cover to be long enough on the sides to
>drape to the floor.  Not enough time has passed, but I think this has
>helped the humidity system  control the pitch and tuning.
>Again, time will tell.

Last year I was asked to maintain an 7' Bosey in a church. Subsequent
tunings found the piano to be warmer than the surrounding air due to the
convection of heat from the parish hall below (wooden floors in the old
church).  Tuning was fun while the piano acclimated, I've advised them to
remove the cover well in advance of my arrival.

Also, they we're complaining that not everyone would replace the cover
because it was so heavy and unwieldily.

I recommended either a lighter weight cover or have the sides shortened.
They opted for the latter.  The church environment is maintained fairly
constant so the side length was a detriment in this case.

Regards,

Jon Page