[CAUT] P-12ths was: Tuning a Steinway DandaBosendorferImperialtogether

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Sat Oct 18 04:31:46 MDT 2008

Kent-

This might provide some information:

1) Find a piano with wound strings on the long bridge.

2) Aurally retune the lowest plainwire note to the same pitch as the highest wound string. Now you have very high and very low inharmonicity notes at the same pitch.

3) See what the machine does with these notes. Does it calculate different pitches for them? Do they match at a particular partial?  What's happenning at the third partial? Cybertuner Pianalyzer would give quick comparisons and show any partial matching.

4) Similarly, when you tune the SD and BI together, take sample readings with the Cybertuner Pianalyzer and see what offsets you get at various partials.

Ed