[CAUT] treble string clarity

Dr. Henry Nicolaides drsnic4 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 2 13:35:08 MDT 2008

Hi List, I have tuned several concert instruments lately that has brought this question to my mind again.  Since I have rebuilt/restrung over the years I have some perspective but am wondering what you think and if there is any ideas for remedy, short of replacing the offending strings.  One of the pianos is a 20 year old SD10 and the other is a "newer" Steinway B.  The clarity and brilliance begins to fall apart towards the top, around C6 and gets worse going to C8.  The top treble was significantly sharp, "overstreched" to my ears and by measurement upwards of 50 cents.  Has this contributed to the the breakdown of the string which would cause this?  And, is the remedy to replace the offending strings?  My experience tells me I may need to do so.  The hammers are not too hard.  I get the same effect whether striking with the hammer or plucking at the strike point.  Any thoughts?  Both pianos are used in performance. Thanks for your comments. Henry Nicolaides email: drsnic4 at hotmail.comwebsite:  www.precisionpianotuning.net