[CAUT] uprights

Rick Florence Rick.Florence at asu.edu
Mon Sep 8 18:51:15 MDT 2008

ASU has been purchasing U1s for quite some time now (over 30) years.  We have been happy with them.  The cabinets put up with abuse and clean up very well.  The actions are workhorses that go just keep going.  They tune up rather quickly, with is a big deal when you are in a hurry - aren't we all.

My biggest complaint has been with the tuning stability across the break.  It doesn't take much of a seasonal change to make that F2-F3 octave really ugly.  I have also notice, the 15 we bought about 10 years ago do not tune up as easily (string rendering/pin movement) as the earlier versions.  I also would prefer a little richer tone.

We purchased 3 Schimmel 120s over a year ago and I can't believe how well they have done.  The tunings and regulation stay rock solid and the movement from season to season is very minimal.  Not even close to the Yamaha issues at the break.  Add that to the improvement in tone I think we have a winner here.  We bought another one this year as well as a 130.  It is too early for me to say what the long term wear will be, but I have seen a number of 20 year old schimmels (upright and grand) that are still performing very well.  I was in Germany this summer and was able to see a number of older Schimmels.  I didn't notice any long term concerns.

I plan on purchasing a few more of these over the next few years.  They are more expensive than the Yamahas, but less than the Steinways.  They come out of the box in great shape, tune up and regulate quickly, hold a regulation and tuning, and have a polyester finish for that needed durability.  I have received nothing but compliments from the students and faculty.  They want more.

No, I am not a Schimmel dealer :-)

Rick Florence

Senior Piano Technician

Arizona State University