[CAUT] Reasonable job descriptions

Mark Cramer cramer at brandonu.ca
Mon Sep 8 22:33:27 MDT 2008

Meanwhile. the Banff Centre has posted an assistant technician's position
offering a starting salary, with all things considered, that appears to be a
generous leap upwards from what the average head CAUT seems to be making,
and it hasn't been all that easy gathering a short-list of qualified
applicants. (!?)

And there may not be another CAUT posting in all the world that even
compares with this:

*	Spectacular setting in the Canadian Rockies
*	World-class Center for the Arts
*	All the professional development opportunities and high-level
experience one could ask for
*	Multiple concert-stages / recording -studios / internationally
recognized musicians
*	Amazing health care and benefits.

As Bert mentioned recently, the assistant position comes with the same level
of challenges and requires the same level of skills as the head technician.
So applicants must be able to tune at a concert/recording level and have
solid technical skills. You will be kept busy!

Having said that. if there are that many highly-qualified technicians not
happy in their present situation, we should begin to see some very
impressive resumes.

Not everyone has the same desires or circumstance, but if you are looking
for a more fulfilling future, there are options, but you may need to
actually explore them.

Best regards,

Mark Cramer, RPT

Brandon University

Sessional Faculty Technician, the Banff Centre for the Arts

PS Typically contract tuners are looked at as low cost/ low skill, and that
may be true, or not. Even if the skills are there, what they often lack is
confidence and experience working in a performance setting.

So, if you have proven skills at an RPT level but are unsure about working
in a performance environment, what you need to do is look into the work
study program at Banff. Come out and work with the kind of support and
opportunities that are matched to your personal risk/comfort level, but
challenge your skills. Then you'll really see what you've got!

  _____