[CAUT] Reasonable job descriptions

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Tue Sep 9 06:30:59 MDT 2008

Jon,

With no true "credentials" that are universally recognized by administrators, and when there are ten mediocre techs  eager to accept CAUT positions at lower salaries, how are we supposed to "stand up" to upgrade the field? I'm not trying to be a jerk, and I'm not offended by your rather blunt statements below, because you're absolutely correct; we "deserve what we are metered out". But if we all did what Jeff did, would that force the issue with the institutions? Not necessarily! Precisely because of what you wrote below; "The attitude of the administration...Dime a Dozen"

Now, what is the solution? The options seem to be the following;

1.       Maintain the "status quo"

2.       Boycott, quit en masse, or otherwise show solidarity and force the issue

3.       Gradually upgrade each situation individually, one at a time

4.       Establish a CAUT credential as Eric, Fred and the CAUT committee is  trying to do.

5.       (A combination of the above #3 and #4)

My choice is #5; to push for a credential while trying to upgrade my own situation. I have been offered twice the money in the private sector, but that would mean I'd have to abandon the only place where I may be able to have some influence on the situation. It would be comparable to someone angrily quitting the union instead of staying in and trying to change it from within.

Now, I really respect Jeff and don't mean to say ill of him quitting, because he needed to quit for many reasons. I like it that he is so relieved and happy with what he's doing now. I have considered doing the same for years. But as I mentioned last month, this job is MUCH more than the salary represented. (My "20 reasons" post) But alas, I still long for more...

When Andrew Carnegie was asked "How much is the perfect wage? What should be the standard salary for anyone?" He responded, "I know the answer. Here is the salary that everyone should have; A little bit more."

Regards,
Jim Busby