[CAUT] Reasonable job descriptions

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Sep 11 10:28:14 MDT 2008

On Sep 10, 2008, at 7:05 PM, Jeff Tanner wrote:

> But what I learned from the process is that there are really two
> ways to improving salary, and neither one of them involves someone
> else noticing how great your work is and generously offering to
> increase your salary.  That approach didn't work at all.

Hi Jeff,
	Fascinating account. I agree with you that doing high quality work
did not get you the salary you wanted. I will argue, though, that what
you did was to set a standard, and to create a demand for that
standard. When you left they wanted to maintain and even improve on
that standard, or so it seems, and they were willing to spend what it
took to do so.
	I think that many institutions simply accept a very low standard of
piano care, partly because that's what they have become used to
(partly because that may be all that is available considering the
location and the skills possessed by the techs in the area). If they
want something better, what they think is that they need to spend
millions on new, better instruments, and they don't have that kind of
money. If they come up with that kind of money, they buy the new
instruments and watch them deteriorate very quickly, because all they
do is have them tuned. They need to learn that comprehensive care is
the key to quality pianos. They will learn that best if they see
models of it in real life. And if we communicate well with them.
	About the Steinway workload calculation, anybody can do that, you
don't have to have a Steinway rep come through. I believe the
worksheets are up on the Steinway site. If that gives you better
credibility than the Guidelines, by all means use it. Personally, I
think that far too much emphasis is placed on the workload aspect of
the Guidelines. It's a help, maybe, but really a minor part of the
document. I think the workload formula is more useful as a way of
organizing your time and work: it asks the questions you need to ask,
and gives you clues as to how to decide on priorities and set up a
schedule. And it points out the variables that make it easier or
harder to maintain a high standard of service.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu