[CAUT] Reasonable job descriptions

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 11 17:20:06 MDT 2008

Ok, I don't understand this email program. I used to click, drag and copy and be able to make other people's posts appear as a quotation. This windows vista email is much different.  Every email I receive works differently, so please bear with me.

Fred Sturm wrote:
Hi Jeff,
Fascinating account. I agree with you that doing high quality work did not get you the salary you wanted. I will argue, though, that what you did was to set a standard, and to create a demand for that standard. When you left they wanted to maintain and even improve on that standard, or so it seems, and they were willing to spend what it took to do so.

Hi Fred,
That's not an argument. That's what I said, and it is why my quitting was successful.  My fuss is that we shouldn't have to QUIT to get that for the next person.

Fred wrote:
I think that many institutions simply accept a very low standard of piano care, partly because that's what they have become used to (partly because that may be all that is available considering the location and the skills possessed by the techs in the area). If they want something better, what they think is that they need to spend millions on new, better instruments, and they don't have that kind of money. If they come up with that kind of money, they buy the new instruments and watch them deteriorate very quickly, because all they do is have them tuned. They need to learn that comprehensive care is the key to quality pianos. They will learn that best if they see models of it in real life. And if we communicate well with them.

Fred,
I think that happens in some places.  But I really think that faculties have the misconception there is some standardized educational/training process that trains all piano technicians to some standard level.  What we are proposing as a CAUT credential, they think that is who we should already be, and that the current salaries in place are adequate for that skill level.  I also think they somehow believe that experiences on a resume indicate a higher level of competence, when the reality is that experience on a resume is simply geography.

Fred wrote:
About the Steinway workload calculation, anybody can do that, you don't have to have a Steinway rep come through.

Fred,
Yes, but the simple fact that the Steinway rep is not a piano technicians' rep gives it more credibility.

Fred wrote:
 I believe the worksheets are up on the Steinway site.

Fred,
I looked for them a while back, but didn't find them, and I wound up calling the local S&S dealer for a copy.  If they are now there that would be a super service they provide.

Fred wrote:

 If that gives you better credibility than the Guidelines, by all means use it. Personally, I think that far too much emphasis is placed on the workload aspect of the Guidelines. It's a help, maybe, but really a minor part of the document. I think the workload formula is more useful as a way of organizing your time and work: it asks the questions you need to ask, and gives you clues as to how to decide on priorities and set up a schedule. And it points out the variables that make it easier or harder to maintain a high standard of service.

Fred,
The workload aspect of the Guidelines is the most important part!  I think we technicians understand what is involved.  I thought the Guidelines was for educational purposes for those who are in the dark about piano service and needing to know how to staff the needs of a piano inventory.  It doesn't take a tech 6 months on the job to have a firm grip on that and how to organize time and work.  If the Guidelines are not for the uninformed, I have to admit I don't see its purpose.

Jeff