[CAUT] Wurlitzer Iron Pinblock - Anyone ever restring one of these things?

Norman Cantrell normancantrell at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 11 21:19:15 MDT 2008

Kendall

I had a Wurlitzer player grand a few years back with no pinblock.  The pins were held in place by wedges that were driven up into a split in the pin itself.  If one got a little loose a small tap on the wedge would tighten it up.  It appears the threaded screw from the back accomplishes the same thing.

I only replaced the bass strings in this particular piano.  I this case I took an approach similar to what was described in earlier posts regarding re-stringing pianos while retaining original tuning pins and block.  The trick is to make coils on some form of tuning pin that are then transfered to the existing pins that remain in the block.  If you want to clean things up for appearance sake I would suggest the Travis tuning pin cleaning system.  It has been years since I looked for it in the Schaff catalogue but if they no longer supply it there may be some old timers around that have some of the rubber tips and polishing compound lying around.  If I recall I used a dremel tool with the wire wheel attachment to clean up the tuning pins before stringing which worked pretty well also.

If you are planning on painting the plate I would clean the pins, prep the plate, then cover the pins with heat shrink tubing to keep the gold off the pins.  (unless of course you want that 50's reconditioned with gold on the strings look).  The tuning pins hold remarkably well with new strings in place.

Norman Cantrell