[CAUT] Wurlitzer Iron Pinblock - Anyone ever restring one of thesethings?

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sat Sep 13 08:13:29 MDT 2008

I don't believe these pins will back out. The wedge in the bottom
makes them a bit thicker at the bottom than the top. So I would just
loosen enough to remove coils, clean up, set all the beckets in line
with one another, and restring transferring coils to the existing pins.
	I have often puzzled about how they strung these in the factory
(something to think about while tuning the one in my client base), and
it has seemed to me that it would be pretty hard to come up with a way
that didn't start by the pins installed in the web, plate reversed
(something supporting the tops of the pins), then wedges pounded in,
then plate turned upright and installed in the piano, then strings
installed in some fashion (coiled in place, or coils transferred to
them). I can't imagine a way of getting those wedges in efficiently
with the plate in. I guess some form of long-necked plier to squeeze
them in, maybe. But the idea of making a coil on the pin, putting it
in the hole, and then adding the wedge, well, it just doesn't compute
for me. I wish there was an old-timer around to ask. I've long been
curious.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico