[CAUT] Wurlitzer Iron Pinblock - Anyone ever restring one of these things?

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Mon Sep 15 04:43:33 MDT 2008

> On Sep 13, 2008, at 1:34 PM, Kendall Ross Bean wrote:
>
>> I think there might also be some confusion here because Wurlitzer
>> apparently used two different configurations for these iron pinblocks.
>> The one I am working on uses a machine screw with a relatively fine
>> thread to hold the tuning pin in from the back (or underside on a
>> grand), but you brought up a good point: there was also a design that
>> used wedges, and a tuning pin that was split at the bottom to accept
>> the wedge, which wedge could then be pounded in further to tighten the
>> pin (which design I have also seen in my travels, but unfortunately
>> don't have a picture of.)

I've got a customer with that other system. If I return to it this fall
I'll try to remember to take my camera...

Anyhow, it has a split pin with a wedge _and_ ,if I recall correctly, a
collar nut to keep the wedge in place. Kinda like the system of those
hammer shank reducers.  My memory could be off a bit on this, as the
last time I peered under was many years ago. The pins are as tight now
as they were when I first tuned it, more than 20 years ago. (The
soundboard drains better, but the pins are tight...)

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

Remember that, while money talks,  CHOCOLATE SINGS!