[CAUT] Which side to yank the butterfly spring?

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 22 11:15:39 MDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 9:17 PM, Ed Sutton <ed440 at mindspring.com> wrote:

>  I'm reconditioning a set of wippens, and have them off the stack. As I
> was cleaning gunk out of the rep lever groove and cleaning the spring tip, I
> looked under the lever, at the allignment of the spring coil, and it occured
> to me that when the spring is snapped out of the groove and over to the bass
> side of the lever, the coil can open easily when you yank on the tip of the
> spring to make it stronger. Snap it out to the treble side and it jams
> against the underside of the rep lever when you pull.
>
> It seems to me this would be a good policy - snap the spring out to the
> bass side when adjusting spring tension.
>
> I don't recall reading or being taught to do it this way. Have I missed
> something, or am I imagining that something insignificant really matters?
>
> Ed Sutton

I believe you may have something there Ed. I'm sure the feds with all of the
zillions of dollars they're throwing around the last few weeks could easily
be talked into doing a study on it.
After all a few years back they spent a few mil on a study of how to make a
PB & J sandwich so that the jelly didn't make the bread soggy by lunchtime.
Of course any mom and a lot of dads could have told them to put the peanut
butter on both pieces of bread and the jelly in between and "voila!" problem
solved. I guess it was just more efficacious to spend a few million
discovering that on their own than to go to the experts.

Anyway great observation Ed.

Mike

--
I feel sorry for the person who can't get genuinely excited about his work.
Not only will he never be satisfied, but he will never achieve anything

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404
www.IFixPianos.com