[CAUT] Touchweight question

David C. Stanwood stanwood at tiac.net
Tue Sep 23 18:32:56 MDT 2008

Jim,

Is this piano made in Denmark..?  Sounds more
like something a certain maker in Korea might
have done back then.   Disengage a few springs,
remeasure U/D then calculate the unsprung BW.
Compare this to the BW with the spring on and the
difference will tell you how hard the spring is
working.   9g - 11g is a conservative value and
will just support the weight of the wippen with
the stack on the bench with the hammers flipped
up.   17g would be an absolute limit not to be
exceeded without danger of creating a "Bouncy
Key" effect.

Support Springs aren't meant to fix a mismatch of
hammer weight and ratio that results in too much
lead in the key but rather a way of reducing lead
in an action that is already working ok thereby
making it a little lighter and faster on the
upstroke....

If you action balances nicely after removing the
back lead, disengaging the spring, and weighting
the keys normally with the lead weights in the
front then I would say Cut'em off!

David Stanwood