[CAUT] Touchweight question

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Thu Sep 25 12:54:03 MDT 2008

Thanks David, Fred, Ric, others,

Yes, David, Danish it is. I will take measurements as you have suggested. I've already done some samples with a "normal" key leading pattern (w/o springs) and it works very "normal". I can't see why they did it the way they did. Now, with the Front Weight and Strike Weight in the "normal" range (SW needed no change, keys lots) I get very typical "good" DW and UW measurements (35-37 BW). That being said, if I do take advantage of the springs and eliminate some lead in the keys and let the spring do minimal work, as you suggested below, would that be "better" than with no spring at all? There is such a range here; from the original "make the springs do all the work" to no springs at all, and everything in between. Hence the query.

My limited understanding of the spring is that "if it is needed, then use it." And that seems to be for a larger piano, larger keys, etc. or if heavy hammers are used. If not, then why use them? I may then go to your "Cut 'em off" comment below.

BTW, the action ratio is 5.8. The spread is 113.5, so that doesn't seem to be the place. I thought about moving capstans.

There is so much to learn here! The bottom line, of course, is to make a piano feel great to the pianist. John Silverman's adviced to me a few months ago was "Don't try and make all pianos exactly the same! Vive le deference' (sp?) This project is almost a classroom to me.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Jim Busby