[CAUT] Syllabus in Piano Technology

reggaepass at aol.com reggaepass at aol.com
Wed Sep 24 10:07:29 MDT 2008

We are still hammering out whether this will be one hour a week of "class" time or more.  It is not intended as a major, but as supplementary to whatever their major is, and of a more introductory nature (repeatable at a higher level for additional credit).  Since I intend to start out with only one student, our hour together will be more like a one-on-one applied lesson.  Our library already has nearly all of the texts I plan to use (so he can check them out) and I will request that they acquire those they don't (starting out with Steve Brady's "Under the Lid").  So, taking this independent study course wouldn't actually entail any cost for tools or texts up front, and if they become an associate of the CalArts Piano Shop, tool borrowing privileges are one of the perks that attract young techs who we can't really afford to pay what they are worth.  That way, they can earn the money to buy their own tools by working on pianos without going into credit card debt.

All that being said, mentoring someone through the Randy Potter Course does have a certain appeal to it...

Alan Eder