[CAUT] Heating system volume level

Tim Coates tcoates1 at sio.midco.net
Thu Sep 25 06:02:00 MDT 2008

I have appreciated the comments from this list.  I have also
contacted some educators who have dealt with noisy HVAC units in
class rooms and rehearsal  rooms.  Proper air handling, turning off
the units during rehearsal, moving the HVAC units outside the room to
the roof, and staying on good terms with the janitors and engineers
are consistent comments.  One other solution is the use of an in-room
PA with the instructor using a headset.  One band director reported
students requesting the continued use of the headset even after the
noisy HVAC unit was removed from the room.  The headset allowed the
instructor to never use a raised voice.  Which when you think about
it can change the tone or character of a rehearsal.  No yelling.  The
relationship between the students and the instructor became
conversational.   The wear on the instructors voice also affects
their physical energy.

My major concern:  voices or instruments need to blend together to
make music.  Noisy HVAC units prevent the blending.  I think side
effects are teachers with hoarse voices and students who don't hear
directions properly.

Tim Coates